Wednesday 8 May 2013

Review: Didymos Natural Hemp India

Brand: Didymos
Type: Natural Hemp India
Blend: 50% cotton, 50% hemp
Size: 4
As my son has become bigger and heavier, I've gradually become a fan of thicker wraps.  It was inevitable, therefore, that I was going to end up with a Didymos Natural Hemp India (NHI), which is one of the heaviest wraps available at 356gr/sqm.  I have to admit that I am not particularly keen on the India pattern, but that it simply personal preference.  I was also rather nervous of having such a pale colour around my toddler, but was so keen to try the wrapping qualities that NHI could offer that I decided to grad dye my wrap as soon as it arrived, therefore toning down the pattern, and adding a splash of colour.
Natural Hemp India is definitely not a wrap for a beginner, or for a fan of thin wraps.  It arrives very beastly and thick, and after dyeing was even more crispy.  However, after a wash, a steam iron and half an hour of continuous braiding, the potential became apparent.
I am still working on breaking-in my NHI, but it is already becoming a lot of softer and more mouldable.  I'm quite enjoying the task of breaking it in, and even my husband has spent a couple of evenings braiding it and sitting on it! 
However, I am definitely beginning to feel the rewards.  The cush of this wrap on my shoulders is amazing!  As its becoming softer, it is becoming a lot easier to wrap with, and my son becomes almost weightless when wrapped in it.  My size 4 is still wrapping like a size 3, mainly due to the thickness and size of the knot, but as it continues to break in with use, I'm sure the knot will get smaller, and my ability to wrap with it will improve.
I have completely fallen in love with this wrap, and the hard work it has taken to soften it up is all part of my love for it!  As I've said, I wouldn't recommend this wrap for a beginner, and I wouldn't use it for a newborn or smaller baby, but for a larger baby or toddler, it offers a lot of cush and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment